Saturday, 14 May 2011

Gardening with Dad

When I was small I used to love helping my dad with the garden.



Now, though I currently live at my parent’s house, we don't get much dad and daughter time. There wasn't a lot to suggest we do together - neither of us want to be splashing the cash. One interest that we both share is food and every now and then we make dinner as a joint effort. People have said to me 'Do you ever stop thinking about food?' and I think perhaps it's a family trait - from my dad’s side. I remember going to my Grandma's house for lovely Sunday lunches as a child. We visited my auntie just a few weeks ago and when everyone was stuffed full with BBQ food and an amazing Eton Mess she started making cakes! She and dad both share my love of cream cakes and pavalovas.
I'm not majorly keen on gardening, but I like pretty gardens. So as dad does like gardening, I suggested we work on a veg patch together. It's his gardening brain + my decorating brain. So far it’s going alright. I have a phobia of worms – go on, laugh! – I’m not sure where it came from, I’ve a sneaky suspicion it may have something to do with The Twits and Goosebumps! They are freaking me out a little, but I’m being brave!
The journey so far....




^We used to have chickens in this area, but the foxes got them. So we got rid of the hut and used the blocks that it was on to make the sides of a bed.


^Made another out of bricks we had lying around in the garden (keeping it thrifty!) and did some planting.





We're using these basic planters temporarily until I've made some pretty ones! There's more to plant, and we are going to create a nice pebbled walkway too. Keep following and look out for further veg patch posts. We are going to do some more gardening today!

Happy Saturday Everyone. x

2 comments:

  1. What a cutie! The garden is coming along lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! I don't know if you remember me but we used to do textiles together at Arnold Hill! I've just found your blog and it's so nice - I'm going to follow you if that's ok!

    Lots of love,
    Rebecca (Moore!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...