Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Homemade Cards


I love making cards because it's such a simple easy craft with good results. I like making cards with a person or occasion in mind and creating something unique. I like the endless possibilities. Why have a trip out to the shops and spend a few pounds a time on a card that's the best you could find, but often isn't quite right? Even if you buy beautiful cards, you're spending money on things that will probably end up in the bin very quickly. Plus, making them is enjoyable.

I don't buy lots of fancy card making kits. I just save cards I would throw away to recycle and use things like newspaper, magazines, coloured paper, buttons and ribbon. A few weeks ago I had 3 cards to make for the same day. I had agreed to babysit my friend's adorable daughter and so I threw some scissors, double-sided sticky tape and lots of old cards and scraps of paper into a bag with some blank cards to make them over at her house. I borrowed some pritt stick from them too!

Here are the 3 cards I made that night, made mostly by recycling bits from a few old cards.

A mother's day card....


A christening card....


I'd had this idea in my head for a while. I came up with the idea of 'button nose and tiny toes' as a little rhyming phrase to describe a baby and thought it would be nice to put buttons in place of each 'o', this gave me a reason to use it.

And a congratulations on your engagement card (for the uncle of the christened baby incase you're wondering)....


I wrote them using the felt tips at my friends house and tidied up. The parents were praising of my cards on their return which is always nice to hear, and very kind. Especially kind considering I'd spilt coffee on their cream carpet.

(I had found stain remover and given it a good scrub, and rest-assured after further treatment it's now gone.)

Do you like making cards too?

5 comments:

  1. Your homemade cards are so sweet. I love receiving hand made items, as I know they are filled with thought and love. I have become your newest follower and look forward to reading your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the receiver of one of your cards.. I love them! I have all your cards on the freezer to brighten it up! :)

    The Mother's Day card is so cute!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very talented! I love the mothers day card!

    Monique xx

    misszuman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cards are adorable PLUS they mean so much more when the person makes them! They are very very special gifts :) Great job!!
    xo
    janel

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...