Friday, 4 March 2011

Fair Play

We are currently in the middle of Fairtrade Fortnight. I was discussing this with some friends last Monday and we were talking about how we always think it's great when we see that things are fairtrade but we rarely go looking for it when shopping. Starbucks coffee is now fairtrade, and Costa I thought would at least have the option if you asked like Starbucks used too. So when I had a meeting in Costa yesterday morning I intended to make sure I asked that my coffee was fairtrade. I forgot. But I remembered whilst in Costa and checked the board behind the counter - I was shocked to find it wasn't an option!

One problem is that Fairtrade coffee and tea can be very horrible. A friend once said to me 'Don't have the coffee here, it bad', to which I asked 'Is it one of those horrible big tubs of Nescafe orginal?' and he replied 'It's even worse, it's fairtrade'. So I would like to share the the coffee and tea I know to be good.....

COFFEE - Starbucks, obviously. For Instant coffee, I recommend Lidl's version.


I used to buy this all the time when I was at university. It tastes good and is only about £2 so it won't cost you any more than ordinary coffee.

TEA - Sainsburys.


Sainsburys Red label tea has a really nice flavour which I believe to be just as nice as leading brands and it's also very reasonably priced. I noticed for the first time when shopping yesterday that all of Sainsburys own range of tea is actually fairtrade.

FRUIT TEA - Clipper


I'm not a Fruit tea drinker, but my mum is a huge fan of the stuff. She has high praise for Clipper's wild berry tea, claiming it is just as nice, if not nicer, than the highly acclaimed 'teapigs' berry tea - and it's much more purse friendly too!

Another point made in our converstation was that the only thing you really think about buying fairtrade is tea, coffee and bannanas. What else is out there? My friend Kerstin likes to give her little girl dried mango and wondered if it was possible to get some that's fairtrade. One of the other girls, Lora, has since found some! In Co-op.

Kerstin also wondered what was available in terms of Fairtrade fashion. I knew I'd seen plenty of articles about fairtrade fashion but for some reason I could not think of any other than People Tree (and that was because of recent press about Emma Watson's new line). There are some fairtrade cotton t-shirts in Sainsburys and Tesco, but other than that, what was there???

I've been doing a little research this morning, and here are a few links.....

Traidcraft's shop had this pretty bag

One Boutique is cute

As mentioned, People Tree

And various designers, including Katherine Hamnett ones in her famous slogan style, have created t-shirts for The Environmental Justice Foundation Shop

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...